What is a Mold Test Kit and Why You Might Need One?
Molds are the enemies that strike from within and can lurk for many weeks or years for a few drops of moisture that activate the spores and trigger mold growth. It will only take a matter of hours for a mold spore to flourish into a small but thriving colony that can spread damaging effects far and wide.
Until the situation is so dire that a musty odor can be detected in the air, the only way to tell if there is a presence of mold in any location will be with proper testing. This is where a mold testing kit can help a concerned homeowner or landlord to detect the presence of molds and take action to defend their property from this biological attack.
What is a Mold Test Kit?
There are several ways that a simple mold test kit can confirm the presence of mold in your building. While none of these results will be as accurate as a professional lab testing, they can give you a basic idea of the severity of your mold problem should a mold presence be discovered.
Most DIY mold tests will fall into one of the following categories:
Air testing seeks to determine the quantity of spores floating around in the air. Mold spores are microscopic and can ride air currents to new locations to begin new colonies. If these spores fill the air in high quantities the implications can be serious. Air sampling is often accomplished with a simple petri dish set out in a strategic location for a specific amount of time. After a 48 hour incubation period, the results will be observable. A home with heavy airborne spores will produce mold colonies in the petri dish.
Another way to test for a mold presence will be too look for spores that collect in specific surface locations. Mold spores will collect in vents, screens and all other kinds of nooks and crannies. A surface test will sometimes involve a swabbing different locations of the house and transferring the collected particles to a petri dish for incubation. Others are like a small piece of tape on a specially designed slide that can provide information about the molds in your house.
Why Do I Need a Mold Test Kit?
As mentioned, molds can wreak havoc on your property by damaging materials and belongings and even endangering the health of the occupants. Here are some of the ways that a mold test kit may help in the battle against this phyto-menace.
Preserve Roofing Materials, HVAC Systems, Furniture and More
There are many different surfaces in your home that would make a suitable home to begin a mold colony. But, if there is also a presence of moisture in the air regularly, the favorability of the location increases 10 fold. The HVAC and Ventilation systems of the house are one such place where moisture can encounter airborne mold spores and begin a thriving colony. The roof is another location that sees a lot of moisture and molds. Regular testing can keep the mold presence in check, preventing it from causing more costly problems in these sensitive areas.
Health of tenants
Inhaling mold spores has been known to contribute to poor health. Spores can cause irritation to the nose, eyes and throat and even cause asthma attacks. Molds can also have more unpredictable effects on health including skin irritations and sores that take a long time to heal. By the time a mold presence is tangible enough to be detected without a mold test kit, the situation has gotten bad indeed. Regular testing can prevent the situation from reaching this level.
If you will be having renovations done in your home or commercial locations, mold testing can ensure that you begin work in a clean and mold free location. This will allow for improved longevity as the project will be constructed in a non-contaminated environment. This will make the advent of future mold issues a less likely.
Protecting a remediation investment
If you have recently had all molds removed from your property through professional mold remediation, a mold test kit will allow you to gauge how effective the job was and alert you to any new threat levels further down the line. Catching a mold situation when it is small is the best way to avoid paying a considerable price for a large service.
Cost versus hiring an inspector
Depending on the size of your home, a professional mold testing company can charge anywhere from $300 – $700. Smaller homes will cost less of course, but it is pretty unlikely that you would spend any less than $300 on a professional mold testing. Granted the professional test will deliver more accurate results than your mold test kit. But, by keeping a weather on the mold presence in your home with a cheaper $50 mold test kit, the need for these precise tests will be postponed indefinitely.
Best Mold Test Kits, Based On Consumer Ratings
- Mold detection kit
- Tests for and identifies various types of molds colonizing in the home or workplace
- Tests up to 9 different locations; Mold analysis completed by NIOSH certified lab
- Lab analysis of $15 per sample submitted will specify the type of mold growth
- Kit contains all test materials, manual, and preprinted return envelope
- Easy, Safe and Simple to use (quick start guide and full booklet included)
- Get Peace of Mind and protect your family from harmful Mold and mycotoxins
- Lab Fees and detailed report included in Price (except in Texas)
- Expert Consultation to explain results and discuss inspection included
- Save money vs hiring a Professional home mold inspector (3 surface tests included)
- As Seen on the Today Show. Detect Mold Spores & Allergens in Minutes. Even If You Can't See It. No Waiting for Labs.
- Accurate and Safe! The only test that also detects spores and allergy-causing mold-particulates.
- Easy-to-use. . . three quick steps. Test for mold yourself before you rent or buy.
- Most sensitive test available. Patented technology from the U. S. PHS; Includes Expert Consultation
- Detects the worst mold types, like , that are often missed by air sampling
- Safe and Easy to Use. Simple instructions inside.
- The mold test kit allows you to collect Air, Surface or Bulk samples that can be sent to our AIHA Accredited Lab for one $40. 00 Lab Analysis Fee.
- Pre-Paid First Class Return envelope included to send back mold samples to the Laboratory
- Standard detailed Lab report within 7 working days via email or text through the PROLAB App
- Your detailed lab report will show detection of mold, pollen and allergens
- MOLD ARMOR Do It Yourself Mold Test kit safely and easily tests for the presence of mold with visible results in as little as 48 hours
- The Do It Yourself Mold Test Kit can be used for indoor or outdoor mold testing. Tests indoor air quality for unseen mold in the home
- There are three testing methods: (1) Indoor Air Quality Test Method (2) Air Conditioning & Heating Sample Method (3) Surface Sampling Testing Method (when visible mold is present)
- Each air quality tester and mold kit contains a petri dish, swab, and mold growth medium
- Tests for the presence of mold within 48 hours
- Incredibly easy to use, 30 second results! Simply dip the lead detector swab in household vinegar and wait for the yellow mustard color to appear. Next, clean the testing area and rub the vinegar...
- No mess or hassle, dispose after use! No need for industrial hazardous material disposal containers or protective gloves; Scitus lead testing kit swabs are non-toxic, odorless, and won't stain your...
- 30 Lead detection swabs in every package. A simple cost comparison and you'll see that our lead tester swabs are the most cost effective lead testing product on the market
- Lead reagent test, we at Scitus has invested heavily to develop our high accuracy swab testers and to perform rigorous quality testing to ensure that you receive only functional test strips
- MOLD TEST KIT: Contains 1 air sampling pump, 4 air sample cassettes (1 for outdoor control, 3 for indoor rooms), 1 surface samples, 1 mailing envelope, and instructions
- ANALYSIS FEES: An additional $35 per sample lab analysis fee is due at time of online sample registration. Standard FedEx/UPS rates are also applied at this time w/ express options available
- FAST & EASY TO USE: A quick 5 minutes to take a sample (must have air sampling pump) and easy to read, color-coded lab reports with analysis results, recommendations, and next steps
- ADDITIONAL PACKS: Additional sample accessory packs can be utilized to sample additional rooms when combined with mold test kit. Please Note: One (1) Outdoor air sample is required per sampling...
- MY MOLD DETECTIVE: Not only identifies what types of mold are present but also determines whether mold concentration levels are normal, slightly elevated or elevated
- A kit with multiple mold tests to locate and pinpoint the source of the mold. Conduct a simple visual comparison of all areas to find which has the most mold to doscover the real mold source without...
- No Lab Fee. This is a search-to-find-it mold investigation kit, not a mold identification kit
- At $49.95 per kit of 10 tests, yields the most economical mold test kit at $4.99/test
- Bright, easy to read comparisons of mold tests by color contrast and quantities per room
- A superior test kit that allows you to test and retest until you find the mold source
- No additional fees are required. Lab Fees Included. .Same day turn around time on the results from the day we receive your sample.
- Our test kit is for up to 3 separate samples.
- Free Expert Consultation included
- Free Detailed Lab Report.
- We test for all mold types for one low price
- LOCATE MOLD EASILY: Individual room testing helps to minimize overall cost when treating mold in a large area, our plate system makes locating trouble spots a breeze
- STATE OF THE ART LAB: Our detailed laboratory analysis provides our clients with specific information they need to understand potential home and health risks for only $33/plate.
- EASY TO UNDERSTAND RESULTS: verify whether or not mold was found and the severity of the problem with our full-color reports, available online as well as emailed directly to you.
- AIR QUALITY: Identify room to room air quality with an easy to organize system including labels and easy to follow instructions
- PEACE OF MIND: Individual room tests allow you to feel comfortable knowing just where the higher concentration of mold may be residing in your home
Best Mold Test Kit To Buy FAQ
We receive lots of questions from readers, who are in the process of researching their upcoming purchase, for example:
- What is the mold test kit to buy for 2019, for 2018, or even for 2017 and earlier?
- What is the mold test kit to buy on the market?
- What is the most affordable (best value, cheapest, or even the most expensive) mold test kit?
These questions often plague consumers. You aren’t alone.
The good news is that eBestReviews.com uses technology to search through Amazon reviews and scores, compiling a list of the best products within their shopping categories. You no longer have to search endlessly through products 1 by 1. Our API links directly to Amazon, then uses proprietary software to find the best products, saving you time.
Our reviews use artificial intelligence to keep our top rated reviews up to date, daily. As an item shifts in popularity or review rating, our post will update along with the reviews and ratings, to ensure you are receiving the most up to date information and ratings.
Take a moment to read more about us, and feel free to contact us with any questions you may have. Thank you for trusting eBestReviews for researching your next purchase.