What is a Mold Test Kit and Why You Might Need One?
Molds are the enemies that strike from within and can lurk for many weeks or years for a few drops of moisture that activate the spores and trigger mold growth. It will only take a matter of hours for a mold spore to flourish into a small but thriving colony that can spread damaging effects far and wide.
Until the situation is so dire that a musty odor can be detected in the air, the only way to tell if there is a presence of mold in any location will be with proper testing. This is where a mold testing kit can help a concerned homeowner or landlord to detect the presence of molds and take action to defend their property from this biological attack.
What is a Mold Test Kit?
There are several ways that a simple mold test kit can confirm the presence of mold in your building. While none of these results will be as accurate as a professional lab testing, they can give you a basic idea of the severity of your mold problem should a mold presence be discovered.
Most DIY mold tests will fall into one of the following categories:
Air testing seeks to determine the quantity of spores floating around in the air. Mold spores are microscopic and can ride air currents to new locations to begin new colonies. If these spores fill the air in high quantities the implications can be serious. Air sampling is often accomplished with a simple petri dish set out in a strategic location for a specific amount of time. After a 48 hour incubation period, the results will be observable. A home with heavy airborne spores will produce mold colonies in the petri dish.
Another way to test for a mold presence will be too look for spores that collect in specific surface locations. Mold spores will collect in vents, screens and all other kinds of nooks and crannies. A surface test will sometimes involve a swabbing different locations of the house and transferring the collected particles to a petri dish for incubation. Others are like a small piece of tape on a specially designed slide that can provide information about the molds in your house.
Why Do I Need a Mold Test Kit?
As mentioned, molds can wreak havoc on your property by damaging materials and belongings and even endangering the health of the occupants. Here are some of the ways that a mold test kit may help in the battle against this phyto-menace.
Preserve Roofing Materials, HVAC Systems, Furniture and More
There are many different surfaces in your home that would make a suitable home to begin a mold colony. But, if there is also a presence of moisture in the air regularly, the favorability of the location increases 10 fold. The HVAC and Ventilation systems of the house are one such place where moisture can encounter airborne mold spores and begin a thriving colony. The roof is another location that sees a lot of moisture and molds. Regular testing can keep the mold presence in check, preventing it from causing more costly problems in these sensitive areas.
Health of tenants
Inhaling mold spores has been known to contribute to poor health. Spores can cause irritation to the nose, eyes and throat and even cause asthma attacks. Molds can also have more unpredictable effects on health including skin irritations and sores that take a long time to heal. By the time a mold presence is tangible enough to be detected without a mold test kit, the situation has gotten bad indeed. Regular testing can prevent the situation from reaching this level.
If you will be having renovations done in your home or commercial locations, mold testing can ensure that you begin work in a clean and mold free location. This will allow for improved longevity as the project will be constructed in a non-contaminated environment. This will make the advent of future mold issues a less likely.
Protecting a remediation investment
If you have recently had all molds removed from your property through professional mold remediation, a mold test kit will allow you to gauge how effective the job was and alert you to any new threat levels further down the line. Catching a mold situation when it is small is the best way to avoid paying a considerable price for a large service.
Cost versus hiring an inspector
Depending on the size of your home, a professional mold testing company can charge anywhere from $300 – $700. Smaller homes will cost less of course, but it is pretty unlikely that you would spend any less than $300 on a professional mold testing. Granted the professional test will deliver more accurate results than your mold test kit. But, by keeping a weather on the mold presence in your home with a cheaper $50 mold test kit, the need for these precise tests will be postponed indefinitely.
Best Mold Test Kits, Based On Consumer Ratings
- Mold detection kit
- Tests for and identifies various types of molds colonizing in the home or workplace
- Tests up to 9 different locations; Mold analysis completed by NIOSH certified lab
- Lab analysis of $15 per sample submitted will specify the type of mold growth
- Kit contains all test materials, manual, and preprinted return envelope
- Easy, Safe and Simple to use (quick start guide and full booklet included)
- Get Peace of Mind and protect your family from harmful Mold and mycotoxins
- Lab Fees and detailed report included in Price (except in Texas)
- Expert Consultation to explain results and discuss inspection included
- Save money vs hiring a Professional home mold inspector (3 surface tests included)
- As Seen on the Today Show. Detect Mold Spores & Allergens in Minutes. Even If You Can't See It. No Waiting for Labs.
- Accurate and Safe! The only test that also detects spores and allergy-causing mold-particulates.
- Easy-to-use. . . three quick steps. Test for mold yourself before you rent or buy.
- Most sensitive test available. Patented technology from the U. S. PHS; Includes Expert Consultation
- Detects the worst mold types, like , that are often missed by air sampling
- This mold test kit should be used as your first step in identifying toxic mold spores that could be harmful to your health and your home
- Test for Toxic Black Mold in your home, school or office
- Prepaid postage envelope included in kit to send back to laboratory
- Useful for landlords, contractors and anyone concerned about the presence of mold in their professional environments--also useful to homeowners and apartment rentals concerned with health impacts on...
- $40 Analysis fee required for lab report
- Tests for the presence of mold within 48 hours
- Safe, easy to use
- A simple way to protect your family from toxic and other molds
- Tests for the presence of mold within 48 hours
- Safe, easy to use
- SECURE YOUR SAFETY FOR PEACE OF MIND - Radon is responsible for around 21,000 lung cancer deaths every year. Testing is the only way to really know if you and your family are at risk. Don't wait...
- EASY TO USE 48-HOUR TEST - It takes just a few minutes to set up and includes everything you need to check your home or office for radon. Just follow the simple instructions, send it in, and you'll...
- FREE LAB TESTING, SHIPPING INCLUDED - We'll cover the testing fee and return shipping so you don’t have to pay a penny extra for that. You’ll usually get your lab results back within 3-5 working...
- MADE IN THE USA FOR MAXIMUM ACCURACY - With millions of detectors analyzed, this test is one of the most proven radon measurement devices available. Your radon sample will be analyzed by the...
- ALL YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED - You can always count on our team of qualified experts, with more than 30 years of expertise in the radon-testing industry. Should you have any questions, feel free to...
- 1 (15 liter) Air Sampling Pump - Its Reusable
- 3 indoor air sample cassette and 1 outside air sample cassette
- Fast 5 Minute Test - 5 minute internal timer for ease of use
- Professional Air Test Results -- NOT ANOTHER PETRI-DISH
- Additional Lab Fees Required at time of online sample registration Standard lab analysis is $35 per sample.
- A kit with multiple mold tests to locate and pinpoint the source of the mold. Conduct a simple visual comparison of all areas to find which has the most mold to doscover the real mold source without...
- No Lab Fee. This is a search-to-find-it mold investigation kit, not a mold identification kit
- At $49.95 per kit of 10 tests, yields the most economical mold test kit at $4.99/test
- Bright, easy to read comparisons of mold tests by color contrast and quantities per room
- A superior test kit that allows you to test and retest until you find the mold source
- All types of mold are tested by our lab (including black mold if present!) The cost of this test kit covers all lab fees! There are NO hidden fees! Very easy to use and collect. Instructions...
- Get peace of mind with our lab certified results and protect your family from harmful mold and mycotoxins!
- This lab analysis is for 2 samples of all type of molds for surface testing! No air samples. Easy do it yourself Mold Home/Office Surface Sample Test Kit!
- Save money vs hiring a Professional home mold inspector (2 surface tests included)!
- No additional lab fees required. Fast Turnaround time, Professional Results and Detailed Report!
- EXCELLENT VALUE INCLUDING 10 SEPARATE TESTS: Our mold testing kit includes 10 agar petri dishes for mold growth, 10 sterile cotton tipped swabs, detailed mold information guide about common household...
- TEST ROOM AIR, YOUR HVAC SYSTEM, & ANY HOUSEHOLD SURFACE: Perform mold tests in 10 different parts of your home or office with our mold detector kit. Test your walls, shower, car, sink, HVAC system,...
- OPTIONAL DISCOUNT LAB ANALYSIS (EXTRA FEE REQUIRED) - Lab tests can be pricey--but with our test kit it doesn't have to be. Each purchase gives you an option to send samples to one of our partner labs...
- IDENTIFY MOLDS WITH OUR MOLD IDENTIFICATION GUIDE: If you don't want to spend the money for the lab test, our kit comes with a downloadable guide with multiple images and information on common...
- 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE: Got questions about your results? Contact us for a free consultation. If you have any concerns with your home mold test kit, we will refund you in full--no questions...
Best Mold Test Kit To Buy FAQ
We receive lots of questions from readers, who are in the process of researching their upcoming purchase, for example:
- What is the mold test kit to buy for 2019, for 2018, or even for 2017 and earlier?
- What is the mold test kit to buy on the market?
- What is the most affordable (best value, cheapest, or even the most expensive) mold test kit?
These questions often plague consumers. You aren’t alone.
The good news is that eBestReviews.com uses technology to search through Amazon reviews and scores, compiling a list of the best products within their shopping categories. You no longer have to search endlessly through products 1 by 1. Our API links directly to Amazon, then uses proprietary software to find the best products, saving you time.
Our reviews use artificial intelligence to keep our top rated reviews up to date, daily. As an item shifts in popularity or review rating, our post will update along with the reviews and ratings, to ensure you are receiving the most up to date information and ratings.
Take a moment to read more about us, and feel free to contact us with any questions you may have. Thank you for trusting eBestReviews for researching your next purchase.
Last update on 2020-01-23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API